From financial reporting, analysis and business planning to financial management and cash flow control, our experts can help you analyze your financial processes and optimize your organizational performance.
Don’t let it happen to you:
A lack of financial management expertise is probably the single most common factor that causes otherwise successful organizations to run into difficulties.
Do your financial reports give you the information you need to run your organization?
Do you have a cash flow forecast and are you concerned about it?
Are you satisfied with your banking arrangements?
Do your ongoing commitments to clients or members leave you with very little time to focus on financial reporting and analysis?
Wouldn’t it be great if you could have access to more financial brainpower to whip your financial management processes into tip-top shape?
At OTUS Group, we will design a financial management solution for your business, association or organization based on the following areas of expertise:
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT CAPABILITY ASSESSMENT
The value of OTUS Group’s Financial Management Capability Assessment reminds us of this quotation:
“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” (Marcel Proust)
When you request a Financial Management Capability Assessment, you will be assigned a trusted professional accountant from the OTUS team to deliver a fresh perspective—i.e. “new eyes” that will scan for financial risks and gaps that may have escaped your awareness as well as opportunities to make better informed business decisions.
For example, the ability to meet the following critical financial management competencies will be assessed:
- Timely access to relevant and reliable financial and non-financial information
- Efficient and cost-effective use of resources
- Comprehensive management accounting
- An effective internal control environment
- Vigilant measures to safeguard assets
- Compliance with authorities
Think of a Financial Management Capability Assessment as the next big step you can take towards understanding exactly what you need to do to strengthen your organization’s financial well-being from the inside out.
VIRTUAL CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
How many times have you wished you had regular input from a C-level financial management expert but thought it was off-limits due to cost? A Virtual Chief Financial Officer (VCFO) might be the solution you never realized was accessible to you—and it’s entirely affordable.
Like any management consulting service, you have the flexibility to get the expertise and support you need for as long and as often as you need it. In the case of a Virtual Chief Financial Officer, he or she can pick up where your bookkeeper leaves off every month, ensuring that you know your numbers and are making informed, well-timed decisions.
For example, you could ask a Virtual Chief Financial Officer to perform any number of the following tasks:
- Participate as an advisor to the executive and board
- Attend key meetings with funders, bankers and stakeholders
- Improve accountability and transparency
- Conduct an in-depth review and analysis of financial statements
- Negotiate with lenders to obtain optimal banking and financing terms
- Develop cash flow and income forecasts
- Prepare budgets using our custom budgeting tools
- Liaise with auditors to ensure a smooth and stress-free audit
- Optimize accounts receivable, billing and collections processes
- Oversee bookkeeping and payroll
- Provide input into business plans
- Develop the annual operating budget
- Establish and maintain appropriate internal controls over financial reporting
In addition to flexibility and affordability, consider the following additional benefits of engaging with a Virtual Chief Financial Officer:
- Sustainability – Whether you work in the not-for-profit, public or private sector, we will match you with a dedicated Virtual Chief Financial Officer with direct experience working in that environment. In the rare case that he or she becomes unavailable due to unforeseen circumstances, we will have other reliable alternates on standby.
- Perspective – A Virtual Chief Financial Officer is just as much a part of your senior management team as a full-time CFO. As a result, he or she will flag challenges and opportunities for your attention while providing recommendations and referrals designed to get you results. Your best interests will always be top of mind.
INTERNAL CONTROL OVER FINANCIAL REPORTING
Running an organization without effective internal control over financial reporting is like playing Russian Roulette—you just can’t be sure when you might get a nasty surprise. Unfortunately, we have witnessed far too many examples of organizations that needlessly suffered financial losses caused by poor internal control over financial reporting.
Our business and financial management consulting experts can help you:
- Identify your most significant financial management risks, so you can avoid expensive surprises
- Design effective internal controls such as over financial reporting, which may result in reduced audit fees
- Develop effective monitoring processes of financial management operations to identify savings opportunities
When you have the appropriate controls in place to manage risks that could negatively impact your business, you are empowering your organization with greater financial vigilance and foresight.
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM IMPLEMENTATION
Every organization is complex and unique, which is why selecting a financial management system should not be primarily focused on researching its technology. Instead, the focus should be far more about understanding your business requirements and aligning them with the right solution.
Whether you are leading a business, directing a department or managing an association, our management consulting experts are ready to help you make informed decisions by:
- Assessing and understanding your business requirements
- Identifying appropriate technical solutions that align with your business requirements, including full consideration of the risks and benefits
- Designing a customized chart of accounts
- Establishing appropriate internal controls for your new financial management system
- Generating meaningful and useful financial reports
- Converting data from the old to the new accounting system
Implementing financial management systems can become frustrating and very costly if not done properly.
When you consult OTUS Group, we can help you make sure you have the right implementation strategy in place.
ELECTRONIC FUNDS TRANSFER (EFT)
If you are still using cheques for most (or all) of your payment transactions, manual tasks such as chasing down signatures, sending cheques by mail and reconciling cancelled cheques every month are needlessly taxing your productivity.
Consider joining the growing number of organizations that have converted their payment method to electronic payment (Electronic Funds Transfer or EFT). OTUS Group has the experience and expertise to help you make that transition so you can enjoy benefits such as:
- Faster, easier and more reliable payments
- Cost savings once cheque printing, envelopes, mailing, and handling costs are eliminated
- The likelihood of reduced banking fees, since EFT transactions usually cost less to process
- The elimination of stale-dated cheques
- Simplified bank reconciliations, because there will no longer be outstanding cheques
- Reduced risk, given that online banking is considered to be more secure than paper-based signature approvals
- Easier management and forecasting of cash flow